Vitan er pallurin - forvitni er drívmegin

Serreglur fyri umsøkjarar uttanfyri Norðurlond


Certain rules apply to international students. Students who are not Faroese or Nordic citizens need a residence permit to study in the Faroe Islands. The Danish authorities are responsible for granting these permits.

International students possibly also need a separate permit to study in either of the other partner countries – see joint website for further info for international students at partner universities.


The application process for a residence permit usually takes a considerable length of time (3 months or longer). You should start the application process immediately upon receipt of the letter of admission from the University of the Faroe Islands. Contact the Danish consulate or embassy in your country, or affiliated with your country, for information on how to apply for the residence permit. You can usually find the information you need on their websites.

Link to Denmark’s embassies and consulates

Link to Danish authorities’ description of residency permit applications for higher educational programmes:

Søgu- og samfelagsdeildin
Jónas Broncks gøta 25, 4. h
FO-100 Tórshavn
Tel.: +298 352580
Faks: +298 352501